Friday, March 21, 2008

Here it is... Sample Snitchin' Part 1



The first installation of Sample Snitchin' with, as you can tell from the picture above, a Dilla Delicacy from Welcome 2 Detroit.

Let me start off by giving you the original (true Dilla fans will know the track crafted from the piece as soon as they hear it):

boomp3.com

Nice little fusion piece leaning more towards the free jazz area. Would love to give you guys the artist and track name, but I'm not trying to invite postmortem lawsuits on the Yancey household. The portion used is actually from around the 0:19 point.

Now, here's the track he molded from a small snippet within the original:

boomp3.com

Tell me that the final track isn't just pure genius. Dilla definitely did a great job of erecting a very strong sound garden around the sample, adding a very deep and sparse bassline along his signature off-kilter drums.

I know that some may say that sample based music is not "music", but, after listening to what equates to pure genius here, how can you deny such music's place?

In my opinion, a great sample job is when you hear the original and you go, "I would have never thought of sampling that shit, and, even if I did, it sure wasn't going to come out sounding nothing like that."

That is the case here today, ladies and gentleman.

I will continue to series based on the feedback I get on this post. I have another track where Dilla made two beats just from the 20 second intro of this one song.

But, if you don't comment, you may never hear it, so... You know what to do. Until then, peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found this thourgh Okayplayer. Slick genius work. I've given so many records to Goodwill that would have been incredible in Dilla's hands.

Harmonix said...

Don't give those records to Goodwill. I'll take them off your hands if you need the space :) Thanks for the comment.

basso said...

Did I say thankyouthankyouhankyou for that Zero7 LP?
thankyouthankyouhankyouthankyouthankyouhankyouthankyouthankyouhankyouthankyouthankyouhankyou
This is a god example how posting a record increases sales: after downloading and hearing I bought one for my girl one for me, my momma bought one for my sister's boyfriend, a friend of mine bought one for himself and it's probably going on.
Yours truly,
Basso

Reza said...

Hi hope youve been liking some of the music @ mine
To explain, there is a feed on the comments purely because its a seperate blog in its own right and there are no direct comments on the main blog
That way if I decide to go private I only have to deal with the Comments blog amd can still post on el reza blog :)

Reza said...

hiya
yeah was going to post it cos its real good but goes against the general policy of my blog... ooop stuff
anyway here it is
storm - soil & pimp
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xzxlqqsgadj
I dont mind if you wanna post it on your blog :)